Living in student accommodation, especially in vibrant cities like Newcastle, Bangor, Exeter, Lincoln, Coventry, Sheffield or Leicester, can provide you with a unique opportunity to celebrate Valentine’s Day in an unconventional way.
If “lurve” is not in the air, why not take this opportunity to bond with your flatmates and the friends who live on the same floor as you in your student accommodation? After all, Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples; it’s a chance to celebrate all kinds of love, and “Valentine’s Day” is the perfect way to do it on a student budget. Here are five creative ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day in your student accommodation:
Valentine’s Movie Marathon
If you’re single or just not in the mood for a traditional Valentine’s date, gather your fellow flatmates and friends for a Palentine’s film night. If you live in Leicester One, you could head to the cinema room or you could create a cosy movie space in your flat, complete with popcorn, sweets, hotdogs and blankets. Pick a theme – whether it’s scary movies or hilarious comedies – and settle in for a fantastic night of cinematic enjoyment. The best part? You’ll be surrounded by friends.
Valentine’s Spa Night
Let’s dispel the myth now, that spa nights are not just for girls. Everyone deserves time to treat themselves! Set up a pampering night with your university friends and recreate the spa experience, all while staying within your student budget. Get creative by making DIY face masks or giving each other at-home manicures. Why not take some hilarious selfies with your face masks on, or try some meditation techniques to fully immerse yourself in relaxation? A Valentine’s spa night is the perfect way to bond with your student flatmates and enjoy some well-deserved chill time.
Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to mean expensive dinners at fancy restaurants. It can simply mean going for a hitting the SU with your flatmates. How does this fit into a student budget, I hear your cry! We have found the most student budget-friendly evenings in each of the Project Student cities for you to enjoy:
- Leicester: Valentine’s Day, falls during the annual Comedy Festival. On the 14th Feb, there are lots of shows with tickets available from £5, or if you’re skint, why not enjoy some free comedy with your uni flatmates? | Price: Free
- Bangor: If you can wait a day and celebrate Valentine’s Day on the 15th of February, we recommend heading to the Bangor Music Festival with your flatmates to hear something new and different. Tickets start at £5. | Price: £5
- Newcastle: Fancy some comedy with friends from your student accommodation in Newcastle? Head to “Red Raw” a new comedy night, where tickets are priced from just £5! | Price: £5
- Exeter: Exeter students, hear us out. If you’re a pet “lover” (see what we did there), you will “love” (and again), our Valentine’s suggestion. Whilst this event is not strictly on Valentine’s Day, the Students Guild has organised a Dog petting event on the 5th of February. Ted, is a Chow Husky cross and from 3 pm at Devonshire house, you can meet him. What’s not to love? | Price: Free
- Lincoln: If you’re up for some flatmate bonding. We suggest trying Valentine’s Day dodgeball. Not only is it free, but it’s a great way to hang out with your friends and make some new ones. You never know, you might even find love! | Price: Free
- Coventry: Fancy unlimited games? We have the perfect Valentine’s night out for you. Simply head to Boom Battle Bar where the SU are offering unlimited games for just £5.95 from 6 pm – 10 pm. From Axe Throwing and Darts to Beer Pong and Shuffleboard, the choice is yours! Price: £5.95
- Sheffield: “There ain’t no party like a Valentine’s party”. Grab your flatmates from your private student accommodation in Sheffield and head to Foundry, Studio & Fusion for Roar Student Night. Plus, if you plan early, it’s only £5.50 (or £6.50 on the door). Price: £5.50
You can take your Valentine’s Day celebrations to the next level by organising a scavenger hunt. Work with your student accommodation flatmates and friends to create clues, notes, puzzles, or small gifts and hide them around town or throughout your student accommodation. It’s a fun way to celebrate the day while showing appreciation for those who mean the most to you.
Valentine’s Day offers an excellent opportunity to celebrate love and friendship with your flatmates and friends in your student accommodation, even if you’re on a tight budget. With these creative ideas, you can make the day special, and remind everyone that love comes in various forms, and it’s worth celebrating together.
Posted on February 8, 2024