Expert Packing Tips for a Smooth University Move
Moving to university can be an overwhelming experience, especially if it’s your first time away from home. At Project Student, we understand the importance of ensuring your move is comfortable and secure. To help you achieve a stress-free transition, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of packing essentials that will make your university move a breeze. Follow these packing pro tips and get ready to embark on your exciting new journey!
Optimise Your Essentials: While it’s tempting to bring every kitchen utensil under the sun, the truth is you won’t use them all. Prioritise the items you truly need to avoid overpacking. If you find yourself in need of a ladle spoon when you start making your meals, you can always buy when you’re there or better yet, borrow it from a neighbour.
Affordable Alternatives: While IKEA may be a popular choice, don’t overlook discount shops like B&M and Home Bargains. These hidden gems offer a wide range of budget-friendly products, including toiletries, kitchen accessories, and even mattress toppers. You’ll find high-quality items that will last throughout your university years and beyond. Also, consider checking out Asda, Dunelm, and The Range for additional cost-effective options.
Streamline Your Packing: Let packing cubes come to the rescue! These handy organisers help you optimise your space and keep your belongings well-organised. You can neatly separate your clothes into different compartments, making it easier to locate items and reducing the chance of wrinkling. You’ll be amazed at how much more you can fit in your luggage!
Now, let’s dive into the specific items you’ll need for your new university accommodation, starting with your bedroom—the space where you’ll spend most of your time (except for the library, of course!).
Smart Move: If you’re moving into a shared flat, instead of rushing to buy everything beforehand, why not reach out to your soon-to-be flatmates and collaborate on essential items? That way you can avoid ending up with 6 spatulas and 24 mugs!
- Bedsheet (check the size of your bed first!)
- Duvet Cover: Infuse your room with your unique personality by choosing a fun and vibrant duvet cover that reflects your style.
- Mattress Topper: Enhance your sleeping experience and ensure the best night’s rest possible.
- Washing Basket: A practical lifesaver for transporting your laundry to and from the laundry room.
- Clothes Hangers
- Extension Lead: You can never have too many plugs, so be sure to bring an extension lead.
Next up, let’s move on to the kitchen, where you can cook up a storm and indulge in culinary adventures.
- Mugs: Savor the perfect cup of morning tea or coffee
- Glasses: Stay hydrated throughout the day
- Oven Gloves/Tea Towel: While you could choose either one, we recommend having tea towels as they serve multiple purposes.
- Frying Pan/Wok: You only need one of these versatile cooking essentials, so choose based on your preferences and save space.
- Cutting Board: Protect your countertops while preparing meals.
- Glass Tupperware: Simplify meal prep and keep food fresher for longer. Glass is durable, dishwasher-safe, and avoids the need for frequent replacements like plastic alternatives.
Finally, let’s focus on the bathroom, ensuring it’s equipped with all the necessities for a refreshing and hygienic experience.
- Towels (large and small): Having extra towels always comes in handy.
- Bathmat: Stepping out of a warm shower onto a cold floor is not the most pleasant experience.
- Toilet Brush: Maintain cleanliness and hygiene.
- Toilet Roll: Avoid any unexpected emergencies!
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste: Keep your breath minty fresh at all times.
- Body Wash
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Hand Soap: Don’t forget to sing “Happy Birthday” while washing your hands (if you know, you know)!
Moving into your new student accommodation is an exciting, yet daunting, process. Of course, you’re going to want to make this flat your home, we have another post you can read here, with our best tips about how to decorate your room.
Let us know if there’s anything you think we’ve missed, and more importantly, don’t forget to share your moving-in day photos with us!
Posted on July 6, 2023